What is a Partial Hospitalization?
There are a variety of different levels of care in treatment programs for individuals who struggle with addiction and mental health disorders. The type of care that is recommended depends on each particular client’s needs for supervision and therapeutic services upon evaluation. The levels of care in addiction and mental health treatment include:
- Detox – if a patient is suffering from addiction detox is a medically supervised setting with 24/7 care that they reside in while going through the withdrawal process
- Residential/Inpatient-the client resides at the treatment center and receives 24-hour a day supervision while undergoing therapeutic treatment.
- Partial Hospitalization/Intensive Outpatient – the patient resides in affiliated supportive housing while attending therapeutic programs frequently throughout the week.
- Outpatient – the patient either resides in supportive housing or at home and attends treatment a few days of week for a limited number of hours.
Partial hospitalization programs, which are also known as day treatment programs, are the most supervised and intensive form of outpatient treatment. Individuals who are in a PHP in Fort Lauderdale, FL go to the treatment facility during the day, but don’t stay at the facility overnight. Instead, patients reside in affiliated outpatient housing in the Fort Lauderdale area. Although PHP is technically considered an outpatient level of care, it still provides a high level of structure, support, and supervision. Partial hospitalization programs take place in a medical or clinical setting. Patients attend the treatment center for therapeutic programs anywhere from 3 to 5 days during the week. They spend the majority of the day participating in both support groups and various therapeutic sessions.
Individuals will enter PHP programs for a variety of reasons. Some patients be admitted into the program upon completion of residential treatment as the next phase of what is known as a “step down” treatment plan. Step down treatment plans are meant to slowly reintegrate clients back into daily life. Other patients will enter in the program after a relapse. Sometimes it is not necessary for an individual to return to residential care after a relapse, so PHP would be suggested for them in order to minimize the risk of a relapse during the early stages of the recovery process.
When you contact a treatment facility, like The Healing Center, a full evaluation is done in order to suggest the correct level of care for you or you loved one.
Who Can Benefit from a PHP in Fort Lauderdale, Florida?
Individuals will enter into a PHP in Fort Lauderdale program for a variety of reasons. Some patients may be admitted into the program upon completion of residential treatment as the next phase of what is known as a “step down” treatment plan. Step down treatment plans are meant to slowly reintegrate clients back into daily life. Other patients will enter in the program after a relapse. Sometimes it is not necessary for an individual to return to residential care after a relapse, so PHP would be suggested for them in order to minimize the risk of a relapse during the early stages of the recovery process. Here are some of the common reasons that a patient might be referred to a PHP program:
The patient has been stabilized or detoxed in a previous facility, but still requires a high level of supportive care.
- The patient is able to live in supportive housing, instead of at the residential facility.
- The patient needs consistent and frequent therapeutic and medical care.
- The patient’s treatment plan is a “step down” treatment plan, in which the individual will slowly be reintegrated back into daily life. The step down treatment method is used to reduce the stress of reintegrating immediately from residential care.
- The patient relapsed for a short period of time, does not require detox, but does need a high level of care in the early stages of the recovery process.
- The patient is suffering from a mental health disorder and needs a high level clinical services, but is not experiencing psychosis, suicidal thoughts delusions, and other symptoms that require residential care.
Benefits of a PHP Program
There are a number of benefits in attending a PHP in Fort Lauderdale, FL One of the biggest benefits of partial hospitalization programs is that clients are able to return to supportive housing each day, instead of residing at a facility. This allows individuals to start building a network of support groups, engage with family and friends, and begin to experience daily living while still under supervision. There are many other benefits to partial hospitalization programs, including:
- medication management and monitoring
- treatment for co-occurring psychiatric disorders (if present)
- individual case management
- small group or family therapy
- educational groups on early recovery and post-treatment acclimation
- spacious accommodations with daily catered meals
- all-inclusive amenities and resources
PHP vs Residential Treatment
Partial hospitalization programs and residential treatment programs have many similarities, but they also have several differences. Both levels of care offer intensive therapeutic services, medical care, and supervision. The main difference between PHP and residential treatment programs is where the clients reside. When someone attends a residential treatment program they reside both night and day at the facility. At the Healing Center’s PHP in Fort Lauderdale, Florida clients live in affiliated housing and attend the facility for a majority of the time during the week in order to participate in therapeutic programming. Another difference is the amount of supervision that the clients are under. Our affiliated off-campus sober living homes still offer supervision, but it is not as high level as a residential treatment program. The number of hours in therapeutic services that PHP and residential programs offer also differs. Residential programs are considered a higher level of care and therefore offer more hours of treatment then PHP programs.
Does Insurance Cover PHP?
Normally insurance will cover PHP treatment, but an individual might need to meet certain requirements depending on the type of policy that they have. For example, they may need prior authorization or a referral from their primary care physician before coverage for client’s PHP treatment is approved.
In 2014, the Affordable Care Act (ACA) put into law that substance use and mental health disorders must be included in covered services under health insurance policies. Individuals with health insurance now have more access to mental health and addiction treatments as a result.
Insurance plans in the United States must now cover the following services:
- Treatment services for substance use disorders
- Counseling and other behavioral health treatment services.
- Inpatient services mental health treatment
The ACA also stipulates the following that pre existing conditions, including substance abuse and mental health disorders, must be covered services. It is also important to note that insurance companies are also required to provide parity protections. Through parity protections, behavioral health and addiction treatment limits cannot be different than those that exist for medical treatments.
If you have questions regarding your insurance policy covering The Healing Center’s PHP in Fort Lauderdale, then reach out to our admissions department. We will run a verification of benefits, explain your coverage, and help you obtain any required referrals or authorizations.
Request a Confidential Callback
You’ll journey towards a life free from addiction with:
The Healing Center’s PHP In Fort Lauderdale, FL
Don’t try to recover from addiction or mental health disorders alone. At The Healing Center our PHP in Fort Lauderdale, FL will provide you with the treatment you need in order to heal. If you’re currently struggling with substance abuse or your mental health, and would like to learn more about partial hospitalization programs, contact us today. Our team will complete a full evaluation and help you decide if PHP is the right choice for your personal needs.
Hee at the Healing Center, we understand that getting help can be a difficult and scary process. We will walk you through the process, stay beside you every step of the way, and do everything we can to minimize your fears. Take the first step towards recovery and reach out to The Healing Center’s admissions team today.